Thursday, March 8, 2012

Diving makes me tired

It's not all fun and games you know... diving is hard work. I've been getting up on a daily basis a full 2 hours earlier than I would at home! It's been rewarding though and I've done a ton of great dives, today's were no exception. We went out to dive on the wreck of the Dona Marilyn, a ferry that sunk back in 1988. The wreck is down about 30m laying on it's side and is basically covered in black coral. We went inside to do a little exploration (this was my first time inside a wreck) and I loved it. Lots of tight spaces and rusty metal to squeeze through, I'm kind of glad my tetnus booster is up to date because I cut my knee and there was a piece of rusty metal in my leg that I had to dig out later.

As we were passing through the wreck, I saw some of the others head up a shaft towards an exit and I guess Duane didn't see that eveyone else had left. I was bringing up the rear and saw some of the others leave and then Duane turned back around and headed further into the wreck. I assumed he had seen our dive master go that way and was following him. Either way I wasn't about to let him go deeper on his own so I followed. It soon became clear to me though that he wasn't following anyone and we were on our own. I let him go a little further and was about to bang my tank to get his attention to say that we should turn back when I heard someone behind us banging for attention. It was our DM trying to let us know we were going the wrong way. We turned back and left with no trouble, but it was awesome exploring the wreck.

Our second dive was back at the cave at Gato island and it was even better than the first time we dove that site. I took a lot of video as we were going through the cave and as we were nearing the exit I got some great footage of a white tip reef shark guarding the exit! It was a perfect dive!

I've come to the sad realization today that I've only got two days of diving left here before I have to start making my way back home :( It's been so relaxing here, I really don't want to leave. Unfortunately vacations have to come to an end and in about a week I'll be home again.

Well I should get to bed, I've got a 5am wake-up for the thresher shark dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment