Thursday, March 1, 2012

An island in a lake in an island in...

I took a trip out to Taal volcano yesterday because I didn't really feel like spending another day in Manila. Taal is the area's most active volcano (I think) but it hasn't erupted since 1911. It's located to the south of Manila in the center of a crater lake. The volcano itself is an island and it's cone is a lake as well. In the cone lake there is another island. So it's an island in a lake in an island in a lake in an island.

I took a boat out to the volcano and was asked if i wanted to walk up or if i wanted to take a horse. I'm not sure even if i had wanted to take a horse if i would have fit on one. The horses they have here are pony sized at best, their heads only come up to about my chest. I could just imagine getting on one and being able to drag my feet on the ground.

Anyways I walked up and saw the island in the crater, there was a great view from the rim of the volcano and you could see that the water in the lake was boiling at its edge. Not so good for swimming I guess.

It wasn't a hugely eventful day, but i did enjoy the trip. On the drive back into Manila as i was watching out the window there were a ton of little roadside shops, one in particular was selling lawn ornaments. Well in the rows of gnomes and birds and fountains and such there stood an 8 foot tall (at least) Incredible Hulk statue flexing and looking very angry. I really wish i had my camera ready. Can you picture that sitting in someone's yard in Kanata? Are you even allowed to have lawn ornaments in Kanata?

No comments:

Post a Comment