Friday, January 28, 2011

Did you say rocket attack?


So I wrote this post yesterday but I couldn't post it until today so when I say today, it means yesterday and yesterday is actually two days ago. Jive?

Arrived at Kandahar yesterday afternoon and it’s true what they say, all the dust in the world is made here. I was met at the airstrip by some ATCO employees who got me organized and issued me a bunch of clothing that won’t fit, and a helmet and some body armour. After driving around the base for a bit I’m starting to get a sense of it.

One thing for sure, it is REALLY busy here. I’ve heard different estimates as to how many people are on base (anywhere from 25,000 to 40,000) but it is much busier than a small town of that same size. The thing is there is really nowhere to go on this base, but everyone seems to want to get there. There are soldiers going in every direction all the time, armoured vehicles driving around, aircraft taking off and landing, and generally just a lot of people everywhere.

I ran into Jim briefly, Judy too, it was good to see some familiar faces. Once I finished signing in, Scott came by to pick me up and give me the tour of the base. There is a Canex on the boardwalk where you can get a Northface Goretex jacket with a fleece for $135! I don’t really need another goretex jacket, but I don’t feel like I can leave here without one at that price.

This morning there was a rocket attack, my first one. The Taliban obviously must have caught wind of my arrival and realized how much trouble they’re in now. Well guess what? Rockets ain’t gonna stop me biaches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment