Friday, January 28, 2011

Tour du Kandahar

Today I had a lot of fun. This morning Jaime (our surveyor) and I did a little tour of the base. Now because we do base maintenance we have access to pretty much the entire base. There are still certain areas that are off limits, but those are the top secret type places where you might find black helicopters and alien bodies. Anyways, we basically toured the entire base starting with the flight line. I have to say that it's somewhat like being a kid in a toy store. There is every type of military aircraft you can imagine here: Blackhawks, Apaches, Mirages, Tornados, Spectres, Reapers! There was even a C-5 Galaxy on the ground yesterday, that plane is HUGE!

After the airfield we drove around the entire perimeter fence. It's a pretty good sized and well defended base here and I really can't imagine how the Taliban would think that they could successfully attack it, although it's my understanding that they do try every once in a while. 

Later on today I finally got a vehicle for myself so I can get around the base without being chauffeured. I've got my own quad! I was quite excited to try it out and it's a ton of fun! I'll have to post some pictures once I get around to it. 

Anyways, that was my day today. Oh, I might have the start of a plan for vacation after I'm done here, scuba lessons in Borneo! I've got to look into it some more but it sounds awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment